Idea Details

Team and Contact Details

SNo Student Name School Degree Year Email
1Asim Zahoor AbbasiASABMS/M.PhilSecondasimabbasi10101992@gmail.com

Inter School Idea ? No
Do you need expertises from another area: No
If Yes please provide details of expertises you need:

Idea Details

Idea Name: Bio Batteries
Slogan: Blood Batteries our future
Supervisor Name: Dr. Fazal Adnan
Supervisor Designation: Assistant Professor
Supervisor School: ASAB
Supervisor Department: Industrial Biotechnology
Contact number: 03333122939
Email ID: fazliadnan@gmail.com
Abstract:
    Batteries­ are pr­actically essential devices but present a whole ho­st of problems. Over time they can have trouble retaining a charge. Some stop working altogether. Others overheat or leak or even explode. They're also rigid and sometimes bulky. Then how about, instead of your standard AA or lithium-ion, a flexible, incredibly thin battery that could be powered by blood or sweat? Seems like an improvement, right?­­ A group of scientists at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute claims they've created just such a battery, one that uses the electrolytes naturally found in bodily fluids. The results of the research, detailed in the Aug. 13, 2007, issue of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, are generating some excitement as part of a new crop of "bio-batteries" that run off of bodily fluids or other organic compounds. (The RPI team claims that theirs could even run on tears or urine.) The battery is not only as thin as paper; it essentially is paper. At least 90 percent of the battery is made from cellulose, which makes up traditional paper and other paper products [source: RPI]. Aligned carbon nanotubes make up the other 10 percent, give the paper its conductive abilities and also make it black. The nanotubes are imprinted in the very fabric of the paper, creating what's called a nanocomposite paper. One of the paper's authors said that the battery "looks, feels and weighs the same as paper" [source: RPI]. Using nanotechnology, the battery's small size, flexibility and replenishing electrolyte source -- that is, as long as you eat -- make it ideal for medical applications. When using the battery away from the human body, scientists soaked the paper in an ionic fluid (a salt in liquid form), which provides the electrolytes.
What is the unmet need in society that your idea will fulfill ?
    it will be potentially helpful for cardiac patients and for those patients who have devices implanted in them the batteries will get charged with the electrolytes already present in the blood
Who needs it ? How many would benefit ?
   helpful for cardiac patients who undergo bypass, pace maker implants or other various battery operated implants
How will the solution works
    the batteries will get charged with the electrolytes already present in the blood
Who are your competitors ? How is your solution different
    electrical and cell batteries
Status: Approved
Entry Date & Time: 2019-01-15 (1854)